Scholarship Committee Mission
To advance philanthropy by providing financial assistance to fundraising professionals seeking to improve their professional skills
General Scholarship Criteria and Guidelines
AFP members and non-members are eligible to apply for scholarships. Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for any AFP Central Virginia Chapter scholarship or mentorship services:
- Active AFP member and/or currently employed by a 501(c)(3) organization
- Minimum of 25% of work responsibilities focused on development
- Preference will be given to applicants whose organization’s budgets do not exceed $1 million.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received AFP scholarship support.
- Recipients must have attended a minimum of three (3) chapter meetings/events during the 12 months prior to submitting their application.
- Recipients are asked to volunteer in some capacity for a committee, if they are granted a membership scholarship.
- Current Board Members of the AFP Central Virginia Chapter shall not be eligible to receive a scholarship.
A. Membership Scholarship
- Preference will be given to individuals working in organizations with demonstrated financial need.
- Preference will be given to individuals that are new to the fundraising profession (less than 3 years experience).
- Scholarships may be renewed for a 2nd year at the discretion of the AFP Scholarship Committee. The awardee must provide an explanation for how future membership dues will be paid upon the expiration of scholarship.
- Scholarship winners agree to be responsible for cost of monthly meeting fee.
· Applicants may also apply to the Mentoring Program
· Applicants who have not received previous Central VA AFP scholarships will receive stronger consideration
B. Educational Program Scholarships
AFP member and Non-AFP member applicants may apply for AFP sponsored program scholarships. However, preference will be given to AFP members. Scholarships to the AFP International Conference will only cover Advance Registration at the AFP member rate. The 2017 AFP program offerings include:
· AFP International Conference
· Virginia Fundraising Institute (VFRI)
· CFRE courses and exams
· National Philanthropy Day Workshop
AFP members may also apply for scholarship funding for development continuing education programs that are not AFP sponsored programs.
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.