Director of Annual GivingCompany: University of Virginia Curry School Foundation
Date Posted: January 31, 2018
Job Title: Director of Annual Giving
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director -- Curry School Foundation
Date Prepared: 01/25/18
Salary Range: $75,000 - $95,000
Development and fundraising at the Curry School generates over $5 million in annual and gift revenues annually. In the next 2 years leading up to the Bicentennial Capital campaign at the University of Virginia, the Curry School and its Foundation will be challenged to increase its current level of fundraising significantly in support of its people, programs, and infrastructure. Generally, the target is to increase the Annual Fund from $.750M/year to at or above $1.25M; and to increase major gifts from $4.5M/year, to at or above $7.5M. Individual fundraising goals, as part of the overall team goal, will be agreed upon at hire.
In the 1st six months of the current fiscal year, the annual fund has shown great progress and potential. When comparing results with the same time period last fiscal year, the dollars raised is 11% higher, total donors (1289 v. 1212) and average gift ($263 v. $248) are all higher and Board giving is ahead of plan and schedule. The Director will need to increase the number of visits and continue to build on the gains of the last 2 years.
The Director of Annual Giving reports to the Executive Director and is full charge responsible for planning, goal-setting, and execution of all aspects of the annual giving program. This position cultivates, builds, and maintains effective long-term relationships with alumni and donors to support annual giving and fundraising programs as well as manages and executes solicitation strategies through all available media channels. The Director of the Annual Fund works with the Curry School of Education Foundation’s alumni, parents, friends and Board of Directors to implement strategies for enhanced relations in all segments of the Curry community.
This position will develop relationships with key contacts across the Grounds, with donor targets, and with Foundation Board members for the purpose of creating deep and long-term engagements with Curry.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete annual funds research and submit a plan, or revise the existing plan, that describes peer schools, their strategies, potential Curry strategies, peer school fundraising performance information, and a recommendation for moving forward – all to meet the annual fundraising goals set forth above.
- Plan, implement and evaluate overall strategies for identifying, soliciting, and upgrading annual gifts; propose and manage yearly budget and solicitation schedule for annual giving program.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, set annual dollar goals for annual fund (currently, $.750M + team goal).
- Review annually dollar and participation goals, based on past data and performance as well as prospects’ giving history, capacity, and propensity.
- Collaborate with an integrated major gift and development team all of whom will be responsible to assist with annual giving.
- Oversee the Dean’s Leadership Fund including making visits to leadership annual fund donors.
- Coordinate relationships with annual fund donors including briefing documents for donor visits and advancement events.
- Attend Curry School and University donor and alumni events as needed.
- Foster collaboration among UVa fundraising colleagues.
- Maintain knowledge of global and national trends in higher education and philanthropy.
- Work with student calling center (Cavalier Connect) to strategically target and call potential donors.
- Participate with events staff in planning and execution of all fundraising events.
- Develop, present, and execute an education program for Curry School students (Class Agents), making clear the benefits to the School of a strong annual giving program; work with student leaders on annual student giving initiatives.
- Provide regular target and performance reports to the Executive Director.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to make recommendations about special projects and fundraising priorities; contribute to high-level, strategic discussions about the Foundation’s long- and short-term objectives as well as organizational culture and management.
- Provide support for the Curry School Foundation Board of Directors and participate in the annual meetings and activities as requested by the Executive Director
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree, and at least 3 years’ experience in fundraising, communications, alumni engagement, or related field. Preference for demonstrated success in fundraising at the annual fund, leadership, or major gift level.
Required Licensure or Certification: none
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Ability to effectively articulate the School’s educational and research mission, strategic aims, and fundraising programs.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Effectively identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit major gift prospects.
- Ability to quickly learn and efficiently use a database to research potential donors, enter contact reports, maintain prospect tracking system.
- Ability to integrate engagement and communications initiatives with major gift programs.
- Work collaboratively with advancement staff in the School and across the University.
- Establish and maintain close and productive relations with School and Departmental leadership, faculty, and staff.
- Engage alumni and friends in volunteer opportunities and participation.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Responsibilities and Duties
Percent of Duty Total: 100
For immediate consideration, feel free to send a resume and cover letter to:
Gerry Starsia, Executive Director, Curry School Foundation
417 Emmet Street South, PO Box 400276
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4276