Virginia Area DirectorCompany: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Date Posted: December 4, 2017
The Batten Group, a premier national executive search and consulting firm specializing in nonprofit, health, and mission-based philanthropy, has been retained by American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to identify top talent in the Richmond market to lead the organization in Richmond.
Established in 1987, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) is a voluntary health organization that gives those affected by suicide a nationwide community empowered by research, education and advocacy to take action against this leading cause of death.
Since 1987, AFSP has:
- Mobilized and connected tens of thousands of people who have lost a family member, loved one, or friend to suicide
- Reached thousands of individuals who are at risk for suicide, as well as those who love and care for them
- Attracted the participation of members of the scientific and clinical communities, who conduct groundbreaking research on suicide and its prevention with support from AFSP
- Established local chapters in all 50 states
- Educated hundreds of local communities about suicide and how to prevent it
- Created a public policy and lobbying arm by merging successfully with an existing national policy organization, thus enabling AFSP to press for legislation and policies at the federal, state and local levels that advance the goal of preventing suicide
- Substantially increased funding from individual donors, including the thousands of highly motivated individuals who participate in Out of the Darkness Walks
- Educated reporters and the media about how to best cover suicide
- Communicated with hundreds of thousands of individuals through their website, social media, brochures, speakers and efforts to generate press coverage
Responsible for implementing AFSP's fundraising and program initiatives within the assigned market areas and working within the chapter service area. As an employee of AFSP National, the Virginia Area Director will serve as the liaison between National and the local Board Members and/or volunteers for the chapter covering the entire Commonwealth, creating a sound relationship with the intent of bringing AFSP's mission to the community. The candidate of choice must be based in the Richmond area.
Chapter service area includes entire state of Virginia except for Northern VA counties: Fairfax, Loudon and Prince William. This is covered by the National Capital area chapter.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement AFSP out of the Darkness Community and Campus Walks and additional approved fundraising within assigned market.
- Implement approved programs within the assigned market area including survivor programs, education programs, advocacy and awareness initiatives.
- Responsible for development and support of Chapter Boards and committees within the market.
- Develop budgets for assigned market area.
- Responsible for volunteer management, including recruiting, training, assigning and recognizing volunteers within assigned market areas.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with community leaders and organizations to promote AFSP's message, build support for the mission and increase involvement in AFSP events and programs.
- Responsible for marketing and public relations, including, working with media to publicize AFSP events and mission to heighten public awareness and reach fundraising goals.
- Responsible for fiscal management, including relationships with vendors, handling cash, expense management and working with National Office on accounts payable and receivables.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five to seven years' experience in nonprofit special events fundraising and volunteer management.
- Experience in programs management and development, experience managing Board of Directors and preparing annual budgets and business plans.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills required.
If you or someone you know may be interested in learning more information about this excellent career opportunity, please contact Philip Batten, Executive Recruiter by phone, (704) 651-7201 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also send a cover letter and resume, in strict confidence, to email@example.com